Saturday 3 April 2010

Practical Experiments and Research- style (2) ♥

Makeup Influences
The grungy/rusty but still beautiful makeup styles to give that smoky look appearance!



This makeup style really enhances the cheek bones and the eye colour. This is sort of the style I want to create in my fashion shoots. It really brings out the eyes in the photograph and the model looks gorgeous from the way the makeup has been displayed. I should think about the skin colour in contrast to the eye makeup colours when styling my models, I obviously want the eyes to look really effective but the tones have got to blind together correctly for this to look right.


Lara Stone image by Steven Meisel- I like the calm approach to the smoky look, it shows you don't have to go overboard to create the smoky effect to the eyes.

Beinta Haraldsen
The ultra smoky look in fashion photography could only have been created correctly by this photographer! What a delight it is to view her images... the beauty that lies within the grunge approach to fashion imagery. Taken so fresh and fine but in a specific grungy way.

The last image here focuses on the composition and pose within the frame as well as the makeup, this relates to my own experimental work so I thought it would be useful to include in my research. Also in this image, there are two models one being clear in focus and the other in the distance. This is something that could work well in my fashion shoot so I will definitely think about this idea when shooting out on location.

I have also researched into different makeup styles and more towards the hairstyles as well on my page, 'practical experiments and research (4)'.


Clothing Influences

The Face Magazine NO 79
Pg 31
August 2003
I came across these when looking for makeup styles in this magazine. I decided to include it within my research because there are quite a few styles here that could influence me for my final shoot so it's better to have evidence of my inspiration on here instead of forgetting where my ideas came from. There are both female and male styles of clothing on here. I personally think that the topless male with jeans on could look quite effective if interpreted into my own style and placed in a grungy fashion shoot location. I will have to plan out my ideas properly.
i-D Magazine- The Street Issue NO.132
Model- Jesse
Dress- designed by Abe Hamilton from Harrods
Pg 62
September 1994
This is a typical poor item of clothing that has been styled in this fashion shoot to appear as it should look. This image is part of set with the below image with the title ' I would spread the cloths under your feet: but I, being poor, have only my dreams...' I was impressed with the fact that this relates slightly to my actual theme for my project. I am wanting to portray poor clothing within fashion shoots and this does exactly that. These clothes aren't too fashionable though whereas I am going to customize my clothing so it looks totally different to this poor fashion clothing.

i-D Magazine- The Street Issue NO 132
Model- Taylor
Dress- designed by Hussein Chalayan
pg 63
September 1994
Like I have previously discussed here, this image connects with the above image for the reason it is portraying the poor. In my opinion, this doesn't mock the less fortunate people, but in a sense has fun with the clothing that obviously doesn't look at all appealing. It's making a statement of what people wish for when they have no money. I would like to move on from this approach to poor fashion and maybe show the beauty of this poor clothing and how good it can look when styled correctly. I do like the way that these designers have styled the clothing as paper and old material to show this poor aspect in the fashion shoots.
Experimenting with my model Becky- Focusing on more Clothing styles, Makeup styles and pose for my final shoots

Here I have included some contact prints of the photographs I have taken for my development. These are images of makeup experiments as well as clothing experiments for my final shoots. I am going to explain these photographs in more depth underneath, I just thought this would be helpful if I displayed some contact prints so that I can choose the images that are stronger from the selection I have taken.

Clothing Styles


I was going for more of a cute glamorous look when styling this outfit. I think the makeup does suite the style of the clothing but maybe the eyeliner would look better on its own as the smokey eye shadow looks over the top and too severe. I am loving the outfit though, I think this would definitely express my outline idea for this project. The pricing of this outfit comes to a total of £5.00 which is my budget price so I could think about using this style within my final shoots. I have styled the blue skirt as a dress by wrapping the left over material from cutting the length of the skirt around the bra area to make a little bow at the back. In my own opinion, I think this looks quite fashionable and no one would think any different than its a short dress.


This next look is similar to the style where Natalie is posed on the first page of practical experiments. Again, I have created a dress from this skirt and the left over material. By having the model posed wearing these shades, it gives off this cool glamorous look as if she knows she looks good. Its amazing how good cheap clothing looks with a little creativity put into it, with a total price of £5.00 I shall certainly consider this style for my final shoots. I think this look will make the model in my images seem over confident and fashionable.


This next outfit is one of my favourites!! I just think there is so many ways that you can pose with a waist coat and still look glamorous. As this dress compliments the style of the waist coat, it is easier for the model to look good in the images. Even though this clothing looks quite cute, I think it will look good in this grungy fashion shoot because the netting could represent cheap clothing which would fit perfectly to my theme of 'looking good with not a lot of money'. I also think the way that Becky is posed changes how we view the clothing and we now see this model displayed slightly cocky and cool which is what I hope to be expressed in my final images. The total of this clothing stands at a price of £5.00 so I think it would be great using this style in one of my final fashion shoots.


This is my final clothing style... I thought that the tie pattern would look quite funky and quirky tied around the beret in a bow. I have tried so many different ways to style the skirt and I decided to wrap the left over material around the neck tucked underneath the front of the skirt to make a dress. I generally think the hair style fits well with this style, the hair being back- combed and down finishes the style off nicely to create this doll like French look. The total price of these clothes is £4.50 so I think I might use this for one of my final images as I really like the outcome appearance.



Hair and Makeup styles

I found this hair style on the Internet and I was really interested in using it within my experiments. It reminds me of a hippy look as well as a casual messy cute look that goes well with the beret. I could use this hair style for one of the clothing styles that includes the beret.


These are my makeup experiments. I have just created some smokey looks with my eye-shadow collection and my eye-liner I had in my makeup bag. I wanted to create different glamorous but grungy looks with the makeup which is clearly displayed here. I am going to be using one style of makeup for each model so I will have to choose one particular makeup look that will work well with the outfits I am going to have my models wearing. I shall create more makeup styles on my model Charlotte so that I have a range of looks to choose from for my final shoots.

Movement Snapshots


Here are some images me and Becky thought would look quite effective in my development. We thought it would be fun to try and create movement within my photographs so I got her to move her head making her hair fly all over the place which has a huge influence from the bring and buy project on the website, www.SHOWstudio.com, where Naomi Campbell has this cheap clothing on working it with her hair flying everywhere. This is very useful to include in my annotation as it explains where I got the idea from.

1 comment: