Saturday 3 April 2010

Planning and Research- Pose and Composition ♥

When photographing on location it is necessary to have an idea of the sorts of poses and looks you want to portray in your images before actually going out and shooting. I am going to be looking at different ways in which I could have my models posed and structure them in a set scene that represents the project I am trying to express. I am going to experiment with different camera angles when shooting so that I have a range of of looks to choose from for my final images. As my budget was only £5.00 for clothing, I wasn't able to buy any shoes so my shoots will have to be photographed from the waist upwards because I don't think that it is appropriate to shoot bare foot at the location I have chosen for photographing my models. I am now going to research into different poses to help me come up with my own pose styles for my shoots and then I will sketch out these ideas so that I will be organised with my exact posing looks for my location shoots.

SONIA RYKIEL Catwalk(Cato Van Ee)
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/XTQsOwjVXNA/SONIA+RYKIEL+Catwalk/vhJoNx6CySw/Cato+Van+Ee


These images relate to my project in a sense that the hair styles are messy and the hippy feel I have been creating within my experiments connects to this certain style. I have specifically chosen these three images to display within my research because I believe that these models are having fun and enjoying being together to display this style of clothing and because my models don't really know each other, I too want my models to feel comfortable around each other and to start making my images seem real in the way they look like they have a strong close friendship. This is always a positive aspect within fashion photography and it engages the viewer more if the models seem to make this fashion fun within the shoots. I think if these models didn't appear this way then the models would look quite awkward and not portray the same meaning. Obviously the clothing has a relation in style but it is more important that the people have this connection too so that the clothing goes together more appropriately. The poses that these models are showing are very natural and ordinary but this works well with the style of clothing they are dressed in. It is obvious that if a model is wearing a dress, the pose would usually be to have the models hand lifting the sides of the dress out or having their hands on their hips. I should think about what poses would suite my clothing styles the best as if the clothing is quite grungy and scruffy, then maybe a pose to compliment this would be to have the model centre of attention appearing really serious or having the model sat down on something looking helpless at the camera.

Cato Van Ee Poses in TriBeCa
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/j7aNAWJR8-0/Cato+Van+Ee+Poses+in+TriBeCa/EZNrhgON58T/Cato+Van+Ee


I also came across this fashion shoot when researching into poses. I thought it would be useful to include within my work because it will give me an insight into how to construct a pose for my individual model images. I absolutely love these images, even though the model isn't all highly glamorous, the seriousness on her face is something I would want to portray within my own shoots. I will have to experiment with this and and see how well my models can pose serious because I am wanting my models quite striking in my images and this model seems to be overpowering in these set images. The clothing in these photographs don't really have that rich approach and so this gives the impression that this model is wearing cheap clothing and is trying to make these look good within the frames. This has a huge significance with my project in the way I am trying to achieve the same approach and I will definitely need to create imagery in a similar way so that my work has a quality as good as this.
Here are some random images that I looked up on www.Google.com, I was trying to find images with more than one model in as well as just individual fashion shoots. This was to help me find different ways in which I could have my models placed within my own shoots posed alternatively.


Nomadphotography.com.au

This image has been added to my work because I wanted to focus on poses with more than one model within the frame. I could consider this layout when photographing my female models as these models here are connecting in a way that suites the style of the image.


http://www.buddytv.com/articles/americas-next-top-model/americas-next-top-model-episod-17064.aspx
I have displayed a video including this image on one of my following pages in my research. I have chosen to focus mainly on the composition and the pose for this image. In these images from America's Next Top Model, the lighting is shone specifically on the main model and the lighting on the other models within the frames seems to have faded out. I am genuinely interested in the way that these images have been created, I feel that the lighting works effectively like this and it focuses attention on the part in the frames that need to be noticed. I think by having these models posed in this way, it connects the scene together in a way that suites the fashion clothing. One model is sat down, one model is leaning against the wall and the other two are posing in the middle differently... the whole image flows correctly from the use of lighting, to the use of posture in the frame. The appearance of these models seem very serious and determined in a way to look like this. I am fond of the way the models are making a statement in the images, it's all about the glamour within this homeless shoot and this takes all attention off the style of clothing which gives the impression that these clothing are like any other clothing and it isn't a big deal with them being cheap compared to rich clothing.
Noah Fallis
http://www.noahfallis.com/photographer/index.php

These photographs were created by Noah Fallis accompanied by Paul Hardy at the location, 'Franks Slide, Alberta Canada'. To shoot there seems amazing, but to actually live there must be another world for fashion photography. The striking poses within each image engages you into the frame and each photograph seems to express a different feeling, one being very aggressive and overpowering, one being quite cool and laid back whereas the others seem to show the model looking quite awkward in a way. It is essential that the pose is correct within the image else the meaning you are wanting to portray may be lost and could create all other meanings that were not intended. Yes... these are such high quality fashion images and work well within the frame but like I have discussed, the poses are necessary to get right so the second photograph displayed here may have been intended to show a pose of delicacy whereas it seems a little too constructed and forced in my opinion.

A collage of images I found off www.google.com to help gain my ideas


I have used these as research because it shows evidence of me looking at the different poses and compositions you can create within a fashion shoot. I have been influenced by some of these pose ideas and so I shall definitely consider interpreting them in my location shoots.

No comments:

Post a Comment