Monday 5 April 2010

Practical Experiments and Research- style (3) ♥

Experimenting with my model Lewis- Focusing on Clothing styles, Hair styles and any Eye makeup styles for him for my final shoot
Makeup and Hair style influences
The Face Magazine NO 85
Main model- Robbie Williams
Photographer- Norman Watson
Text Sheryl Garratt
Pg 64
October 1995
This image of Robbie Williams is just simply to show him off as a Celebrity. The eye makeup look relates to the type of person he is and his music... rock, crazy, and certainly an attraction from the females. His look in this moves towards the grungy side of things and this is why I have specifically chosen this image for my research. It expresses the type of look I want within my own shoots.

i-D Magazine- The Visionary Issue NO 133
Photographer- Jean Baptiste Mondino
Styling- Zoe Bedeaux
Hair- Guido at tony& guy
Pg 24
October 1994
This image focuses directly on the hair style. As my model Lewis has hair that is quite short, I wanted to find some hair style designs for short hair so that I could see how to style Lewis's hair in my shoots. This spiky gelled look appears rather casual and cool and within a grungy fashion shoot this would fit in perfectly.

The Face Magazine- NO 79
Photographer David Slijper
Words- Jonathan Heaf
pg 69
August 2003
This image focuses more on the makeup style.I feel this would totally go beyond grungy if I were to create this look on Lewis, but I believe this would look really effective once I have all the clothing styled and the hair style correct for this look. I am going to consider this makeup style for my fashion shoots, as this would seem very gothic and dark, it would work well within an image that has a dark crazy background.

Posing Influences

i-D Magazine The Underground Issue NO 134
Photographer- Guy Hearn
Styling- Bomi
Hair- Jason Bell
Makeup- Hina Dohi
Models- Sarah, Jennifer, Paula Louise and Sarah W
pg 16
November 1994
I came across this image and thought it would be helpful when trying to create different poses within my own work. I like the way each model is appeared differently but yet the poses fit well together. This is something I will need to think about when creating different images for my models.

i-D magazine The Visionary Issue NO133
October 1994
Fashion Advert- Terra Wild Sider
I was even more so inspired by this photograph and the pose within it. By having this depth of field, it really draws you in as a viewer. The laid back cool style of this pose would really fit into an image where the model could sit down and express their look from a distance. The layout of this image reminded me of a grungy place where people go to chill out, it has quite a grungy feel to it anyway so this would be ideal for one of my shoots maybe.

i-D Magazine The Street Issue NO132
Photographer- Jamil Gs
Styling- Dana Hill
Hair- Frederic Parnell
Makeup- Shade
Modelled- Kyrie, Lisa Ann, Audrey, Coleman, Sam, D'von and Jonathan
Pg 53
September 1994
I have specifically chosen this image for including in my research. As this includes three models in the scene, I wanted to visualise how I could display my own images from the poses within the picture. This works effectively because the poses seem rather cool like and focused which links well with the appearance of the clothing and the locations they are in. If they weren't posed in this way, the overall image may not have worked at all and the intended style would have possibly been lost.

For my model Lewis, I have also looked over the video of Vivienne Westwood's Catwalk show displaying homeless styled clothing, this was useful in the way I was able to see men's fashion wear and how the garments are styled on the male models.
Here is a contact sheet of the images I took of Lewis for my experiments. I will also show these much larger below the contact sheet.

I was hoping for these to be larger than they were so it is clear to see them but I have included them anyway so that I can just about see which images are the most strongest.

Lighting Experiments

These images were taken in Lewis's house with a Metz flash. I was just experimenting with different lighting and effects so that I had a bit more experience with the flash when it came to shooting my images on location. I found that some areas were too dark and some were too light so this showed in my pictures I have displayed here. I managed to get the lighting really nice on some photographs with a smooth shadow in the background. This is the sort of effect I would like to show in my final shoots. I will have to obviously light meter each shoot again when I am at my location because the lighting will be a lot different as it will be outside whereas these images were taken indoors. However, these experiments were just to figure out how to use the flash appropriately and to gain some knowledge about the equipment.

Clothing and Pose Experiments Together
These images show the styles of clothing that I want to use within my fashion shoots. Each style of clothing comes to a price of £5.00 so I shall display these items of clothing in a grungy was to compliment the locations I will shoot at. I like the look of the green jeans and the cross necklace, the jeans are quite quirky and different which fits well with my idea of homeless in a way because they are cheap but funky. By having no top on and just a necklace this gives the impression that the model is poor and can't afford clothing but seems to make this outfit look tasteful and fashionable. The summer look of shorts and shades also has this tasteful approach to this homeless idea and I will pose my model in an appropriate way that best fits the style of clothing. I will have to look at images within my research to gain some ideas of poses I can use within my fashion shoots.

Makeup and Hair Style
I was inspired by the look of Robbie Williams in my above research and decided this was possibly the best look to create on my model Lewis. I was going for a grungy dark look for the makeup style and this is what I came up with when designing the makeup. By having the black eye-shadow just under the eyes, it gives quite a scary and dark appearance which I feel would look create in a grungy location. The hair style was basically simple and spiky as this is all I could manage to create with his short hair. I think the makeup and hair style should be consistent through my shoots so I shall focus more on the pose for when going out on location.

No comments:

Post a Comment