Friday 26 March 2010

Practical Experiments and Research- style (1) ♥



These photographs I have found from the website, http://www.becomegorgeous.com/ I chose these four particular hair styles to display within my work because I feel these best portray pure beauty but in a style that is quite grungy and fierce looking. I am most interested in this smoky appearance shown in each image and I feel that these certain hair styles compliment this makeup style thoroughly.


I am going to now look at the styling of clothing within photographs and look at some videos relating to clothing to show a diverse variety of research instead of just basic research that people tend to resort to such as 'Google'! I have already researched into photographers and different projects on my 'Group Critique- further research page' which links to the clothing styles anyway, but I shall focus just on the clothing styles so that I have more ideas to help progress my fashion shoots.


Vivienne Westwood- A tribute to the homeless


This Video is of the catwalk where Vivienne Westwood created a collection of clothing that was influenced by the street look and the homeless approach. It's as if she wanted to show the importance of homeless people and maybe thank them for creating her work by actually including this particular style within her work. I think its quite fun to watch although this could be argued by people who aren't so keen on this.

Bring&Buy SHOWstudio project

I have already included research on the SHOWstudio project- Bring&buy. I don' think it is necessary for me to display this work again but I think this is dominant to the clothing style in the way people have sent in garments to be styled and designed in a creative way. I will look back on this research when thinking about clothing styles because this is extremely useful to me and will help me come up with some clothing designs.


http://stylebytes.net/2007/05/06/fashion-shoot/These next images approach the same idea as I am hoping to portray within my fashion shoots. I was quite surprised to come across this work because I didn't think it would be easy to find someone who has used a budget on clothing within their own shoots.


I am not too keen on these images though, my style of work will be location based which is totally going off the style of this collection of photographs. I just think it isn't really original to have someone posed in clothing placed in different locations in a house, I am hoping to make my images much more visually interesting and exciting to look at.


Experimenting with my model Natalie- Focusing on Clothing styles and Hair styles for my final shoots


I have included some contact prints in my development so that I can see which images are a better quality than others. I shall decide upon which styles to use for my final shoots as well as the other styles that are displayed on the following practical experiment page. I was hoping they would appear larger on my blog but I have still included them to show evidence of the images I have taken.

Here are some photograph experiments I tested out in my bedroom... I was only seeing what garments look good together as set outfits for my fashion shoots. I have used Natalie for my experiments as I was able to use her the night I was planning on doing these experiments. I have also tested out some hairstyles that would compliment the overall style I am wanting to portray... I shall experiment with my other models for the makeup, etc and gather some more ideas for the styles of clothing.

Clothing and hair styles in the same shoot


These images show the first style I was interested in. I had this idea in my head to portray a quite hippy backcombed look with the hair and the tie and I asked Nat to pose in a way that would compliment the theme I was going for. The clothes that Nat is wearing add up to a total of £4.50 in the first two shoots and £6.00, therefore I won't be able to carry out the third clothing experiment due to me not realising the expense of the garments.


These next experiments, I have played around with alternative clothing to see which looked more appropriate with each other. I have combined together the waistcoat and the Beret and mixed and matched the different necklaces to see the effect of both. I quite like the way the pearls just sit nicely on her neck but the fish necklace looks more effective with Nat holding the sides of the necklace posed in a quite cocky way. I really wanted the hairstyle to be backcombed completely coming out of the beret so it would look scruffy but yet elegant in the same way.The price of these garments came to a total of £4.50 for each style so I will consider these looks for my final shoots :)



I have expressed rather a glam fashion look with these cheap garments. I have gone for quite a fashionable but yet cool look to give the clothing some excitement. As I had the clothes looking cool I wanted to represent this with the hairstyle so I thought it would look good having the hair up, backcombed and in a quiff on top. For these experiments I have tested out two styles to see how well each style fitted to my main idea for the assignment. At first this dress was see-through so I have had to put a piece of material underneath to cover the revealing dress. This material was just scrap so it didn't cost anything whereas the actual outfits came to a total price of £5.00 with the waist coat and the dress and £4.50 with the dress, shades and pearl necklace. In this case, I shall consider both style ideas for my final shoots!

The images here show Natalie portraying a more untidy and messy look with this clothing. I have used some rollers in her hair to give that appearance of being messy and I have used the fish necklace as an earring to express a punk aspect with only having one earring in. At first, Natalie was a little nervous and unsure of how to pose but once we started shooting she was fine and we have created some effective pieces of imagery. I have also displayed a photograph of the back view of Natalie to demonstrate how I have managed to get the clothing to actually fit to her body... Yes I have had to adjust and clip some areas because the dress was too big! Even though the pricing of this clothing and extra parts comes to a total of £4.99, as the rollers were £1.49, I think there are much stronger styles I can work from for my final shoots so I possibly won't consider this particular style for my finals photographs on location.



Me and Natalie have managed to customise this blue skirt into a quite modern style dress with a belt tied around the middle. I was going for a more classy but original look to fashion in the way that I have backcombed her hair and tied a tie around her head. Like one of the previous styles I have created, there is a similarity with the style of a hippy look. I am really interested in this specific look, I personally think by customising the skirt to make this dress, there is a sense of elegance peering through the image. Obviously I would have to approve this style of clothing with the model before going out on location because it is a little revealing and they might not feel comfortable wearing this. The total of these items of clothing comes to £4.00 which is a great bargain when you can look like this! I am definitely going to consider this particular style for my shoots, I will just have to check its OK for me to style this on the model.

This final experiment is again quite cool in the way that the shades have been brought into the shoot. I just love the beret and how it draws the line between a French look and a casual English look in this specific clothing trend. I have wrapped my customised material from the skirt around Natalie's arm to give this rich flawless appearance and by having the shades and the hair styled in plats, it finishes off this look quite nicely. I was trying to create a higher class posh approach with the clothing and I am quite happy with the outcome of my design. I will consider this for my fashion shoots as the pricing of the clothing comes to a total of £5.00 exact and being placed in the locations I have studied, this style of clothing will show how cheap clothing actually can look good on people and you don't have to spend a lot to look like this.

1 comment:

  1. beatiful blog!!

    http://balapertotarreu.blogspot.com

    Frank

    ReplyDelete