Tuesday 23 March 2010

HOMELESS PROJECT- Ideas and location shoots ♥

MY PLANNING

I have decided to plan out some ideas relating to the theme I have chosen, 'Homeless'. My ideas are to look at areas and objects I could focus on when shooting images, these could be ideas for backdrops for my final photographs or ideas for things I could include within my photographs for my final. As my theme is 'Homeless', I have come up with some general ideas that I could choose to work with which are as follows:

* Clothing and fashion- poor scruffy clothing

For this idea, I have thought about having high fashionable models in scruffy clothing to maybe express their feelings when having their rich clothing taken away from them. This would show a different aspect to the actual homeless people today and maybe show how these high fashionable models don't look right or fit in with wearing these scruffy clothing. On the other hand, I could try and communicate within images how once these fashionable glam models have had their style of clothing taken away from them, people view them as normal people and we only recognise them with the fashionable clothing on. The models only have this status from how they appear but put them in clothing that homeless people would be expected to wear and they become to appear like ordinary homeless people do, so it is hard to tell the poor from the rich.


* Equipment such as instruments- playing music to collect money

I could photograph people on the streets that actually live like this. This would show a personal approach to my images and document the ordinary lives these homeless people live. I could photograph different people and the different approaches they have to collecting money for themselves. My images would need to be visually exciting, so I could have these people deep in the moment of their music and show how this is what they live for and they find this as the only enjoyment in life. I could maybe use models of people I know and act these scenes out or I could actually photograph homeless people although they might feel quite angry with me photographing them for the reason I have for documenting them.


* Dogs- I tend to see most homeless people with a dog beside them

This would be quite interesting to see how these people react to me photographing their animals beside them. I could focus mainly on the animal instead of the actual people to capture the expressions on the animal's face instead of how the people are feeling. This would show another point of view to being homeless instead of how a person may feel living like this. I would need to extend on my ideas for this if i were to choose this particular idea for my final.


* Run down locations- back of buildings/dustbins/grotty scenery

My backdrops could be located in areas in Preston, near to my home such as back alleys and grungy local shops, Wigan town such as the train station/bus station/back alleys near the clubs and pubs, local parks, near canal bridges, at the side of some building steps, the tips in Wigan and Leyland, etc. These could all be considered for backdrops for shooting my ideas. I could have my models dressed in glamour/high fashionable clothing to show how these models don't fit into areas like these which would question the difference between the poor and the rich, or I could have my models posed as if they were expressing the 'homeless' and have them with quite dark/messy makeup communicating their emotions within the images. This would raise upon the reality of this situation and what these homeless people must be feeling.


* Portraits of people

I could focus mainly on portraits of homeless people studying their facial expressions and what they individually communicate in a photograph. I could visit different locations and find people who are homeless and try to make them feel comfortable around me before photographing them. I could also collect some personal information off these people to explain in my work how these people live their lives and how they get by each day with surviving without homes. If I decided to carry out this idea, I would need to make my images more exciting in some way instead of just having them posed as a portrait picture. I could include objects within the images to relate to these people which would make my work more visually interesting and maybe express a narrative of these peoples lives.


MY IDEA LOCATION SHOOTS

Wigan bus station and around the area:



I thought this would be a great location for a typical grungy fashion shoot. The appearance of the place says pretty much everything about the style of imagery I want to portray with in my work. To be specific, I could have my model/models posed leaning on the walls or stood in the centre to make a powerful statement about the item of clothing they are wearing.


This location is exactly the same as the above image, I thought it would help if I took the picture at different angles to see the effect it would have on the overall image.



This location is an obvious choice for capturing a scruffy run down area. I found this place when exploring around the bus station and I thought this had a huge significance with the idea of the 'homeless'. Not in anyway am I judging people that are homeless, but when I think of this particular word this sort of imagery appears in my thoughts and I wanted to express this within my photographs.



My main aim was to photograph the back of buildings, mainly because they seem to always have that grungy look to them. I was hoping to capture steps at the back of buildings because they are quite effective when models pose against them or stepped on to them. I have been influenced by this idea and it would be a great location for a fashion shoot where my ideas fit into.


I also found this location where there were dustbins and scruffy walls that I thought would be a perfect backdrop for one of my final images. I decided to photograph this so I have a record of this place if i decide to use this backdrop for my fashion shoots. I quite like the presentation of the area because its not to obvious but yet it fits well with my development.


This is the same location as the previous image. I have photographed this location twice but in different ways to show alternative perspectives of the place. I was particularly intrigued with how I could use this within a grungy fashion based project and so I have captured it to make reference to where I have visited for future development.


Wigan train station and around the area:


This idea came to me when I thought about my friend who did some shoots with him on a train track... totally bizarre I know.... but it looked really good and reminded me of this grungy urban feel that could be expressed within my own work. I know this would be very dangerous and I wouldn't be able to re-create this idea myself, but I could think of other ways I could use this location and create a fashion shoot from this.


The reason I specifically chose this image to photograph was because this is where you would tend to find homeless people and I wanted to portray this sort of image in my work. I know this doesnt exactly include any people but I was considering the backdrop mainly for my development. This would be particularly interesting with all the lighting involved within the frame and the grotty roof that is displayed, I genuinely think this location would be a great place to shoot a grungy style fashion shoot.

This image is similar to the above photograph I have discussed. I wanted to explore this location in depth and find alternative ways to capture the scenes I see instead of framing just one image of that location. I think it it necessary to experiment with the locations and find different ways to express them because the different perpectives of one area may look completely different to each other and so these may communicate different meanings which will enable the viewer to read the photographs in diverse ways.


I was thinking more about the structure and the depth within the location for this photograph. I thought that if I displayed the aspects within the location instead of just a backdrop, this would make my images more visually interesting. I will need to consider this approach when thinking about shooting my final images because I don't just want a typical fashion model to be posed against a simple backdrop, I want to create a scene and portray more than just the usual way we tend to see fashion shoots.


This image fits well into the grungy urban style I am hoping to achieve within my final images. I feel that this specific photograph is one of the strongest that I have taken on location that represents this idea of the 'homeless'. Like I have explained in my previous annotations, I am not trying to judge people who are homeless or poor, I just tend to relate to these images when I think of the word 'homeless'.

No comments:

Post a Comment