Thursday 25 March 2010

My Group Critique... Further Research ♥

After having my group critique today, I have changed my approach to this idea of 'Homeless'. My group came up with various ways I could interpret this idea as I was unsure what outcome I wanted to achieve from my initial ideas. I was predominantly interested in the idea they came up with of having models posed in these glamorous fashion shoots but only wearing items of clothing at a budget of £5 or £10 pounds to show that money isn't everything and you don't have to spend a lot of money to still look good. This idea would connect to my original idea but sway more towards the fashion aspect instead of documenting personal lives. I didn't feel it was appropriate to photograph the lives of people who are homeless as they may get quite offended by the idea so I have decided to express this in a way within my shoots but bring this glamorous feel to my photographs and focus mainly on the fashion side of things with bringing this money aspect into it as well.

My first thoughts on this idea link back to one of my lectures where we studied the different styles that can be created from one garment...

I think that the general idea of having a piece of clothing styled in different ways to create different looks could be an idea to focus on for my project as this would be interesting to see how you could create different looks from one piece of clothing. Whereas the first image appears quite peaceful and calm, the second image has this quite striking and aggressive behaviour and the third image with the same dress being worn is seductive and playful/teasing in a sense.

Photographers Research

SHOWstudio- Bring&Buy project inspiration
Bring&Buy is a project that people sent in cheap clothing/materials for people to design on models. These models are shown on this website posed in different poor garments but styled in a funky way that looks quirky and fashionable. I was really interested in this project when I first discovered it and this is something I wish to achieve in my own project. Its the same in the sense that I am styling clothing that is cheap and I have to make each garment look glamorous from how the models appear in my images. Here are some images from the website that have really been an influence on my ideas for my own work...


'Shot #18
Stylist: NOKI Model: Naomi Campbell Garments used: Black long-sleeved 'Nirvana' top from Kate Phelon with customised tear detail; black cotton T-shirt with print detail from Bruce Ingram (customised into a miniskirt); brown leather belt by Margaret Howell; belt buckle with watch cog detail from Jason Evans; yellow baseball cap with co-op print and red T-shirt customised into head piece - both 'Studio NOKI'; snakeskin pointed shoes worn under yellow and black woollen stockings from Camden Market.'

'Shot #20
Stylist: Tal Brener Model: Karolina K Garments used: Mickey Mouse waistcoat by Honey from Julia Von Hove, Cologne; black pencil skirt by Glassons from Sara Stuart and Brixton and black laces and open toe wedges stylist's own. Also Considered: Multi-coloured devoré gypsy top with black lace trim by Koos van Der Akker, from Mark Ellis; red zip-up T-shirt by Thierry Mugler, from Denver Oakes, Miami; ivory denim lace-up jeans by Issey Miyake from Naoki Takizana and black halterneck catsuit from Natasha.'

'Shot #21
Stylist: Cathy Edwards Model: Karolina K Garments used: Ivory lace-up denim jeans by Naoki Takizana for Issey Miyake; white linen shirt with lace frill from Jong-Won Vark; quilted floral print housecoat from Euk Yang Kang; black halterneck catsuit from Natasha, Brixton, customised to fit as shorts - halterneck, all in one and legs made into bow for jacket; bondage tape from Harmony and black tights by Emilio Cavalini.'

"'Shot #22
Stylist: Judy Blame & Nelson Model: Karolina K Garments used: Pink cotton men's shirt by Two Tall Yards from Thomas Richard; stretch jersey top by Giorgio Armani; neon pink bag by H&M; 'Melissa' pink wedged ankle boots by Alexandre Herchcovitch, customised by Judy Blame; black and neon beaded necklace with lace tassels from Judy Blame; pink wool tailored jacket by Bonpoint from Emily Knight, Richmond and pink and black tights by Jonathan Aston. Also Considered: Metallic leather cap by Philip Treacy " '

I have copied and pasted the explanations on the website of the styles and the models used, etc. I think that by including this information on my blog, it is easy for people to see where my inspiration has come from. The styles I was most fond of are displayed here and they each show a totally diverse approach to this project. I am loving the Naomi Campbell image, Her unusual style of clothing has still been designed to look good and the way she is posed truly compliments the overall style. Personally, I believe that it works well by having movement within the frame as her hair is shown to suite this crazy red cut up t-shirt design that has tassels coming across her face. It's amazing to see what designs have been created from the clothing that got sent in for this project. I am definitely going to have this specific idea in mind when thinking of my final styles and own ideas.

Americas Next Top Model 'Homeless project'
Tyra Banks modelling in this project- This image is located on the video below as well but I wanted to make a statement with this image by showing this individually so that people can focus on the overall appearance as well as the purpose of the fashion shoot. She still looks over glamorous and beautiful within the image even with these signs to indicate the homeless. Maybe this photograph was specifically produced to show how fashion can still look fabulous even when spending a little amount of money. This is what I aim to express through my own images, my intention is to reveal the same aspect as this photograph. People may see this idea as mocking the homeless whereas my ideas wouldn't be to indicate this at all, my intention is just to show people how good cheap clothing can look in fashion images.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjEzAA4_jVo

This is a series of fashion shoots based on the project 'Homeless'. The images show these models in grungy locations posed overly confident and glamorous. Even though their clothing isn't that amazing, the appearance of the models themselves are fascinating to view. I have particularly looked at this video because it has a huge connection to the project I have decided to choose and will give me some ideas of styles I can use within my shoots from how these models look and what they are styled like. The background of these images are especially dark and grungy to give this homeless approach to the photographs. I could take this idea and transform it into my own style of fashion shoots to show the influence I have from this but in my own work. There seems to be one particular model that has most importance within the images, these will obviously be the models who are competing in the show Americas Next Top Model. The other models are there just to build up a set scene, as they have used more than one model, I think this is necessary to take this on board when creating my own set fashion shoots.

More grungy fashion shoot influences:
- http://usgirl.info/goth-grunge-and-glam

'Photos: Mario SorrentiFashion Editor: Emmanuelle AltFrench Vogue November 2008'





"Kate's Autumn/Winter line for Topshop is a gorgeous combination of all things sexy, glam and grungy rock and roll. Ripped nylons, cashmere thigh-highs or leather and studs can all bring the look to an ultra luxe level."
Kate Moss always seems to fit in well within these grungy style images. She still seems to express this approach to fashion photography in Corrine Day's work, who was a massive successful photographer who worked in this style of imagery. I love Corrine Day's work where Kate Moss played a part in her images focusing on the natural beauty of her exposed in grotty rooms that they normally hung out in.

-http://www.showstudio.com/forums/photography/39178/10
In these images, Kate Moss looks quite poor and cheap with the clothing that she is wearing. These images do express the natural beauty and so this reflects my project in the way I am wanting to create photographs that show beauty well even from cheap clothing that don't appear fashionable at all. My aim is to make these items of clothing look good from how they appear in the frames. Kate Moss has a cool laid back look in these photographs, she seems to express happy moments in her life where she had fun creating these fashion images. Her hair style has this hippy appearance and its as if she doesn't care what she looks like because she is having a good time at that moment.
Homeless meets the fashion
I found this next project on the website:
-
http://www.ax80.com/2008/09/nntm-6-episode-3-homeless-fashion.html...
I am truly interested in this particular project because it shows the homeless people working with the fashion models to create such imagery. I find it quite fascinating how people have combined these looks together, it shows a completely different approach to fashion photography we are most familiar with. I am most fond of the way the glamorous models are the centre of attention in the photographs but these people in the background do have some power over the image. It's as if these models are vulnerable in this environment and its the homeless people who are the ones to judge and accept these models whereas we would expect to view it the other way round.


PAPER BAG PRINCESS inspiration

http://www.25park.com/blog/?tag=prada
The main reason this has influenced me is because these models seem to be dressed in cheap paper bags and are positioned in locations that represent the homeless in a sense. I was hugely inspired by the way these models still look highly glamorous and enhanced with their beauty even though they are sprawled out across these images quite messy. Craig McDean has photographed these images with the intentions to portray urban homeless locations in high fashionable photographs to basically mock the present issue of financial status. The poses first caught my attention as they are so powerful in the frames. Each image links quite well together, I think I should consider this aspect when focusing on creating my own fashion imagery, I should think about having my images connection in a way so that my work is visually clearer to understand and has this specific link like these images do above.

Further Research- Craig McDean
http://theblayreport.com/2009/08/26/fashion-without-fashions-w-magazine-explores-homelessness/

These images I have displayed here have been taken by Craig McDean, styled by Alex White and modelled by Sasha Pivovarova. She has too modelled in the previous images I have researched and these photographs explore the approach to fashion in a completely different way to what we are normally familiar with, by dressing the model in paper bags and tissue paper, this gives the look of the homeless but in an interesting concept and truly gorgeous imagery.

No comments:

Post a Comment